July 17, 2015

Happiest city on earth and Lisa's baptism!


Hey family!!

SLO really is the happiest city in America!!I love it here.. I love the people. I love the gospel :) I'll try to cover the last couple of weeks.. so many wonderful things took place! So my companion, sister Harrison is amazing! We instantly clicked and have had a blast serving together already. Our investigators are so great here. We are teaching Bart and as of this week has a baptismal date of July 11th! He's a little Filipino man with the purest heart. He's so humble and always says, "all I want is to serve God." Every time we read something from the Book of Mormon, he says with his accent.. "This is a good one!!" Sister Harrison and I say it every time we see a miracle now haha. "That was a good one."

We're also teaching Kaya.. She is 11 years old. Her mom is a less-active member, but has the desire to come more often. Kaya wants to be baptized and has a baptismal date of August 1st. Her sister was baptized a couple of years ago, and immediately fell away and went inactive, so we're trying to avoid that by helping them come regularly and helping Kaya see the significance of the covenant she is making. She's so sweet and simply desires to follow Christ. I love her prayers.. they are so sincere, as it should be. She just talks to him. She came to church yesterday and loved it!

Tuesday we drove down to MLC (missionary leadership council) In Oxnard. We discuss the needs of the mission and also decided when we will be having exchanges this transfer with the sisters. Our first exchange will be this week, so I'm looking forward to that! We focused on our CVM target "we are consecrated servants of Jesus Christ." At the beginning of my mission I had thought of consecration as keeping away worldly thoughts and desires. I've come to understand that consecration is much more than that. Consecration is repentance.. it is work. It means we change. Consecration is conversion, passion, and devotion. It is humility It means we are WILLING to give the Lord our all and submit our will to his.

Neal A. Maxwell said, "Increased consecration is not so much a demand for more hours of church work as it is for more awareness of WHOSE work this really is. Consecration is following Christ.

President Felix let us go down to Ojai for Lisa's baptism.. (even though it's a couple hours away) he's so great and so personal. I'm so grateful I was there.. it was special and such a spiritual experience for myself and all who attended! Lisa's baptism was so powerful.. I've never seen some one so eager and she was just glowing after.. she was so cute. She went up to Bishop Thomas right after and said, "So how soon can I get my calling!?" haha. I gave a talk on the gift of the Holy Ghost.. Lisa has taught me that nothing is worth losing the spirit and letting the spirit come into your heart and allow it to change your life completely. I think the toughest part about missionary work is helping others have the desire to change their desires.. many people are complacent and just don't see a need for the restored gospel or a need to change. A missionary doesn't change hearts and desires, the spirit does. I have a testimony of the power of The Holy Ghost.. I cherish that gift. And all I have to do is live worthy of that gift, teach and follow the spirit, and invite with sweet boldness.

 
I know that I've come to know my savior in a way that I couldn't through any other experience. The Lord has taught me every day of my mission.. I know that I was called to the California Ventura mission to have these experiences and witness these miracles. I know HIM now.. I am continuing to learn about his love and his nature every day. If any of you are considering a full-time mission, I encourage you to pray fervently. If it feels right, go. If not, the Lord has work for us to do who ever we are and where ever we may be. Choose to serve him.. he is aware of each and every one of his children. He loves us. The gospel is true!

Love,

Sister James
7-13-15
What a great day!

Lisa's baptism!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment