December 29, 2014

"We desire the Salvation of Souls"


Hello everyone!

 
First of all, I want to say happy birthday to my beautiful mother this past week!! You are one amazing woman and I hope you got spoiled rotten :) I have to apologize if this email is sloppy and all-over the place.. I've had the flu, so my head is spinning Ha!

 
This week we did service for three different less-active ladies in our ward. I know that service is such a powerful tool in bringing others closer to our savior. We had the opportunity to help sister Kight with some house work…she hasn't been active in a few years and she said "you girls are here because you just want me to come back to church!" she paused.. and said "Well, I just might." That was a miracle!! She really appreciated us coming over. It was neat because I haven't been able to meet her since I've been here and we happened to come by the day after she had back surgery. It's amazing how the spirit directs us where we need to be. She's a crazy, old cat lady.. she's a hoot and I already love her!

 
Sister Steele, a member of our ward had us over for dinner along with a friend who she's been telling us about! Her friend Nicole is a single mom with a 2 year old son, Andrew.  She and sister Steele met at the gym and she has mentioned to us that she's felt prompted to invite her to hear about the gospel. Nicole has had some trials in her life and really needs that direction... we had the opportunity to teach her the plan of salvation and the spirit was so powerful. Sister Steele just testified and basically taught the lesson and Nicole really seemed to enjoy it. We will be meeting with her again on Wednesday in the Steele's home!

 
We met with the Gomez family after zone conference.. we decided to completely focus our lesson on Christ. We watched a powerful Mormon message and read 3 Nephi 11. We each shared our testimonies of Jesus Christ.. this family is so amazing. The daughters each shared their personal feelings about the savior and atonement and the spirit was touching Sister Gomez heart. THEN we found out she has been reading!! They weren't able to make it to stake conference, but brother Gomez said that they are making it a priority to read and pray as a family.. We were excited to hear that sister Gomez took the time to read because she has been resisting it. I'm really looking forward to spending thanksgiving with them!

 
We were blessed to have zone conference and stake conference this week! I'm so grateful for these meetings to receive personal revelation and greater perspective. We were introduced to our new 5 areas of focus.. which are

 

"In the Great California Ventura Mission, we..

 

1. Begin with the end in mind

2. We are consecrated servants of Jesus Christ

3. We strive to serve the Lord through our obedience

4. We are led by the spirit as we find and teach

5. We desire the salvation of souls

 
I especially love the last one, "We desire the salvation of souls." I know that each soul is great in the sight of our heavenly father! The conference was completely centered on desires and helped me reflect on what my desires are and how I can align them with the will of the Lord. Something that I really got out of the conference was that our father in heaven does not expect perfection, but he expects a willing heart.. We talked about the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law. Once we understand WHY we are obedient.. why we keep the commandments, we can find joy in them and our desires change. I am so grateful for this work and to be a missionary at this time. I'm grateful for this season to remember to count my many blessings.. I feel especially blessed to share this message of hope. I know that my Savior lives and that this is the work of the Lord!

 
Happy Thanksgiving!! I love you all!!

 Sister James
11-24-2014
Birthday cake made by Sis Brown
More Birthday Love!

Exchange with Sis Draney


 
 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment