February 15, 2015

Staying in Camarillo!


Hello everyone!

 SO, I'm staying here in Camarillo with Sister Angimarau! :) I am SO grateful! The work is really pressing forward.. especially with the ward members. I feel like I have a lot of work to do here in this area and It's not quite finished.. so I'm really glad to be staying! This past week has been great :) Sister Barlow took us down to the temple for Sister Angimarau's birthday. That was really special. (I attached some photos).

The Lucas family is doing so well! We had a lesson on obedience and the Word of Wisdom with Heather and Max this past week.. Heather had mentioned to us the first time we met that she enjoys coffee and asked if she would have to give it up. We thought it may be an issue for her, but she told us that she can definitely give it up and the things she's learning and feeling will make the small sacrifice so, so worth it. She's given up everything else prior to learning about the church.. we talked about the blessings and the difference she has felt in her life. To the world, these commandments seem "restricting,"  But they truly make us free. Heavenly Father gives us these commandments because he loves us.. My testimony grows each time I see the change in my own life or in the lives of others when they choose to live them.

They weren't able to make it to church because Madeline had a cheer competition.. Heather was pretty bummed.. Max was so cute. He kept saying, "Just go mom!" And then when we talked about the Word Of Wisdom, he said "You can give it up!" Haha He's a character. We gave him a Children's Book of Mormon to read - he was thrilled! They are still on track for baptism for Feb. 21st! Heather offered a very sincere kneeling prayer at the end of our lesson.. This family is amazing.

 We also met with the Gomez family and talked about the importance of following the prophet. Sister Gomez is being her.. haha :) but she is trying to keep an open heart and an open mind. We are also doing a lot of less-active work.. Sister Knight had us over for dinner this week and gave the closing prayer. She prayed that she could have the courage and time to "Come back to the gospel... " AH. We were so happy! The spirit is softening her heart more and more.

This past week I was reading in Mosiah chapter 10. Something the spirit taught me was how the difference between the Lamanites and the Nephites affected their success. The Nephites, "did go up in the strength of the Lord to battle", while the Lamanites "knew nothing concerning the Lord or his strength. They depended upon their OWN strength."

It is only in his strength that we can do this work. This is his work and I can only do it in his way and by his power.. that takes trust! I know that the Lord blesses us  as we place our trust in him, rather than relying upon our own strength. I've also really been thinking about the difference between just working hard and working from the heart.. and what it means to work from the heart.. I'm so grateful for the things I am learning and experiencing. I love these people and I love my Savior. He lives.

 Read the Book of Mormon, It will change your life!

 Love you all
Sister James
"Celestial Place!"

Los Angeles temple January 2015


 

No comments:

Post a Comment